12.01.2005

Question

Dear Reader,
When feeling Melancholic is it better to:

1. Listen to a Happy song which may lift your spirits?

2. Listen to a Melancholic song which feels how you feel?


1 comment:

MJS said...

Good question. In my subjective opinion I believe the answer to your query is subjective. I suppose it depends entirely on the severity of the malady you're suffering. Perhaps it isn't that bad and you want to ride your melt -- so you throw on some sad Wilco or Ryan Adams Heartbreaker, for example. Or you're just a little bummed, but want to be cheered up, so you toss on some Motown and get groovy. Or, things really suck, irreversibly bad, basically life has given you lemons and instead of spouting that 4H crap about making lemonade, you say, "I like lemons...what else you got?" In that case, I listen to the Velvet Underground. Or, if I'm feeling masochistic, I listen to "We Built This City on Rock 'n' Roll" by Starship. Man, don't get me started on how awful that song is.