11.03.2004

Title Track

I feel I should explain the name dailybread. Clarification seems necessary because I want to be clear with myself. The term "daily bread" comes from that mantra known as the Lord's Prayer. The line is "give us this day, our daily bread." As a kid, the words rattled off my tongue with out much thought. They were words I memorized in Sunday school and repeated in church and at bedtime. There was never any interpretation exercises, we never talked about what the words meant. I just said them. So now I don't go to church much, and usually fall asleep in front of the TV. But I have recently been thinking about the symbolism of the idea; daily bread.

Daily bread to get our ragged souls through another day of living on this wretched planet? Daily bread to get me to work without slashing that fucker's tires at the next stop light? Daily bread to feed my cynicism every time I hear George W. Bush start into his dumb-speak-stupid-talk? I'm not quite sure. I know it's not in reference to Boozing all night and dealing with a hangover the next morning. Stuff like that comes and goes. What remains?

Hope. Hopes and wishes and dreams? Hope that the world won't blow itself up? Hope that I can put up with this bullshit another 10 minutes before clocking out. Maybe its all a big strip tease. The business of expectations. A little carrot dangled just out of reach. Hold on to that hope. It's the only thing other than rampant fear that makes us get out of bed. The hope that today will be better than the last.

Is that why it hurts so much when someone you love dies? Because the expectation of that person being there, giving you hope, is gone? Never again can you say, See you soon. Today was fun, next time will be better, see you soon. Expectations. Anticipation. The light at the end of the tunnel. They are gone, and all I have is my dreams and the hope that I will see them again. And that it will be better than the last time.

Fuck the carrot.

No comments: